|www.corpun.com : Country files : SG armed forces|
3. The following persons shall be persons subject to the military law and this Act shall apply to them:
(e) officers and soldiers belonging to a Commonwealth or foreign force when attached to or seconded for service with or otherwise acting as part of or with any portion of the Singapore Armed Forces.
17. - (1) Every person subject to military law who by words or behaviour wilfully disobeys any lawful order, by whatever means communicated to him, shall be guilty of an offence .... (etc.)
(2) Every person subject to military law who does not comply with any lawful order or neglects to perform or negligently performs any lawful duty or order shall be guilty of an offence .... (etc.)
19. Every person subject to military law who -
(a) strikes or otherwise uses violence to, or offers violence to, a person superior in rank; or
(b) uses threatening or insubordinate language or gestures to, or behaves with contempt to a person superior in rank,
shall be guilty of an offence .... (etc.)
21. Every person subject to military law who contravenes or fails to comply with any lawful provision of general orders, being a provision known to him or which he night reasonably be expected to know, shall be guilty of an offence .... (etc.)
22. Every person subject to military law who is absent without leave from service in the Singapore Armed Forces or from the place where he is lawfully required for the time being to be shall be guilty of an offence .... (etc.)
23. (1) Every person subject to military law who deserts shall be guilty of an offence .... (etc.)
47. -(1) Every person subject to military law who escapes from lawful custody shall be guilty of an offence .... (etc.)
PUNISHMENTS OF MILITARY OFFENCES AND EXECUTION OF SENTENCES
118. - (15) In addition to or in lieu of any other punishment, where a person has been convicted of an offence under sections 17, 19, 21, 22, 23 and 47, a subordinate military court may sentence him to caning not exceeding 12 strokes but such sentence shall not be carried into effect unless confirmed by the Armed Forces Council.
119.-(1) Subject to subsection (2), a person serving a sentence of special detention in a disciplinary barrack who is found after due inquiry to be guilty of an aggravated disciplinary barrack offence may be punished by the officer in charge of a disciplinary barrack with caning not exceeding 12 strokes.
(2) The officer in charge of a disciplinary barrack shall not award any caning without the approval of the Armed Forces Council.
Execution of sentences
125.- (1) This section shall apply to a sentence of caning awarded in respect of an offence specified in section 118(15) or 119.
(2) In no case shall the caning awarded at any one trial exceed 24 strokes in the case of a person of the age of 16 years and above or 10 strokes in the case of a person below the age of 16 years.
(3) Caning shall be inflicted on such part of the person as the Minister may direct.
(4) The rattan shall not exceed 6.35 millimetres in diameter.
(5) In no case shall caning be inflicted upon any person under this section until a medical certificate has been issued by a medical officer to the effect that such person is in a fit condition of health to undergo the punishment.
(6) A person on whom caning is to be inflicted shall wear such protective clothing as may be prescribed.
www.corpun.com Main menu page